ABOUT OUR FIRM
SMITH | ROBINSON comes out of the merger of two South Carolina law firms rich in history and public service. Predecessor firms Lee, Erter, Wilson, Holler, and Smith, LLC traces roots back more than 150 years in Sumter and DuBose Robinson Morgan, PC evolved from its founding nearly 40 years ago in Camden. With 11 attorneys and offices in Columbia, Sumter, and Camden, SMITH | ROBINSON combines the experience and successes of its predecessor firms and broadens its capabilities to serve the needs of its clients.
Successor Firm Histories
Lee Law Firm History
More than one-hundred fifty years ago, General Edwin Warren Moise came to live in Sumter where he had relatives. He hung out his shingle to practice law and thus came into existence the law practice of the founding father of the firm which directly or indirectly still bears his surname to this day. Several years later a father brought his son into the office of E. W. Moise and asked him to let the boy be of service and to finish his reading of law after the partial course of two years at the University of South Carolina. The young man’s name was Richard Dozier Lee. Thus began the long history of the firm then known as Moise and the Lee which was to intermesh the two families in the practice of law for the next century and a half. In 1877, the General’s son, Marion Moise, came into the firm and the name was changed to Moises & Lee. On the retirement of General Moise, circa 1894, the firm’s name was changed to “Lee and Moise”, remaining unchanged until modern times. Marion Moise (the younger), the fifth generation of his family to have selected the practice of law as his profession, joined the firm in 1929 and remained in its employ until his death in 1982. John Dozier Lee joined the firm after service in World War II and remained in its employ until his death in 1999. The firm has continued to prosper under the current members thanks to the early contributions the Lees and the Moises made to this community and to the practice of law in South Carolina.
Dubose Robinson Morgan History
DuBose Robinson Morgan was a successor firm to Holland and Dubose, a firm that Ken DuBose founded with the late Senator Donald H. Holland in Camden, South Carolina in 1980. In 2001 Jon Robinson joined the firm as an associate and was named a shareholder in 2004. John DuBose joined the firm in January 2007 and became a shareholder in 2009. Tommy Morgan joined the firm in 2010 and became a shareholder in 2013. In 2006 the firm opened a second office in Columbia, South Carolina to better serve its government and corporate clients located in the state capital.